Cockroaches feed on anything from garbage to sewerage, even dead skin cell debris. They spread their germs through droppings and regurgitation (vomiting on food) and by crawling over everything in sight.
The bacteria can cause food poisoning and dysentery and gastroenteritis, their droppings and shed skins can also trigger asthma attacks. They are nocturnal (come out at night) so if you are seeing roaches in the daytime, chances are you have a heavy infestation in the home.
They come out at night and crawl over food, cooking utensils, plates, knives and forks.
They feed on anything from starchy materials, sweet foods, to meat and dairy products. They can migrate in Apartment buildings from flat to flat along water pipes.
The main species are:
- German which are smaller and tan in colour and can live up to one year and are up to 15mm in length
- American which are larger and can fly and are reddish-brown, and can live up to three years and are up to 40mm in length.
- Australian which are similar to American and can also live up to three years and are up to 35mm in length.
- Smokybrown which are dark brown to black in colour and are up to 35mm in length
- Brown-Banded which is light brown with brownish-yellow bands across thorax and abdomen and are up to 14mm in length
- Oriental which are dark brown to black in colour and up to 25mm in length
What you can do
- Keep your kitchen thoroughly clean and cover all food stuffs.
- Remove pet food and dishes each night.
- Reduce areas where they can breed by clearing out clutter and garbage and seal all cracks and openings.
- Roaches can come into the home in boxes etc so dispose of immediately.
What we can do
We can offer you our expertise and knowledge of Cockroaches biology to best protect your health and how to get rid of cockroach infestations in your home with a roach control program.